We live in a world of incessant cultural and economic change, and the mission of JIU is to help students be successful in this environment. For this reason our education process includes specific skills required for particular disciplines, but also includes skills clustered around ethics, collaboration, communication and critical thinking. JIU is committed to fulfilling this mission by:
- providing innovative and relevant curriculum delivered by accomplished, supportive faculty
- offering readily available student-centered services
- implementing state-of-the-practice, learning-centered technology and learning resources
- engaging with constituents to create an exceptional educational experience
Through the enabling power of education, Jones International University endeavors to help create a world where it is more likely that reasonable human needs are met, where the environment is self-sustained, and especially where there is less conflict, less fear and more justice. A world where education is democratized. A world where hope is alive. We believe that such a world is most probable where free markets exist and freedom is abundant.
We are a meritocracy, we cherish fairness, and we quickly embrace change as a friend. Quality and integrity are requisites.
JIU academic programs are designed to serve the needs of learners to help them achieve their educational goals, lead richer lives, and shape the futures of their organizations and communities. Consequently, JIU courses are designed using the following assumptions.
- are motivated to succeed both personally and professionally
- learn well both independently and collaboratively
- learn best through application of their curriculum to practical situations and problems
- use a variety of learning styles to comprehend new concepts
- require focused educational content, flexibly available at work, home, and on the road
JIU has identified seven learning outcomes common across programs. Each graduate will have demonstrated the ability to:
- think and act like a global citizen with personal integrity, respect for diversity, and ethical behavior.
- think and act like leaders and supportive teammates
- adapt and apply theories to solve “real world” problems using innovative and creative solutions
- communicate effectively using a variety of methods and disciplines
- think analytically, critically, and systemically to prepare for a life of learning and accomplishment
- leverage information and technology to amplify personal and organizational achievement, and promote information literacy
- design a professional development strategy to formulate a career pathway leading to future success