Earning your degree from the comfort of your own couch sounds like a dream come true. Despite its considerable flexibility, online learning is not as easy as some may think. Pursuing higher education at a quality, accredited institution requires a substantial amount of determination, commitment and time. But for those who take on that challenge, the return in both personal and professional achievement is well worth the effort.
If you’re contemplating enrolling in an online institution, take this simple quiz to see if you’ve got the discipline to thrive in this unique and exciting learning environment. Answer each statement with the following choices: Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree or Strongly Disagree.
- I have strong reasons for furthering my education and consider myself dedicated to meeting my goals.
- I have a distinct and focused professional strategy in which a degree or professional certification is critical.
- I place a high value on education and lifelong learning.
- I am organized and self-directed.
- I can work independently and complete projects on time.
- I am a regular computer user and am comfortable interacting with others via email, online forums, chat rooms, instant messaging and telecommunications.
- I enjoy participating in classroom discussions as part of my educational experience.
- I feel comfortable approaching an instructor with questions about assignments or for clarification.
- I am a strong reader and writer.
- Generally speaking, my schedule allows for 12-15 hours per week for undergrad degree programs or 15-20 hours per week for graduate programs.
- I have a network of family, friends and colleagues, who will support my independent study efforts.
- Given my schedule/circumstance, attending at a traditional campus is not an option for me.
Score 4 points for each Strongly Agree answer, 3 points for each Agree, 2 points for each Neutral, 1 point for each Disagree and 0 points for each Strongly Disagree.
36-48 points: Congratulations! You are ideally suited to become an online student. You have the motivation, discipline and career plan to reach all of your educational goals. Your future truly is at your fingertips, and JIU is eager to be your partner in transforming you into the total professional. Apply now
24-35 points: You are a very strong candidate for distance learning! A quality, accredited school with a fully online format will give you the flexibility you need. While you have a couple areas to work on, you definitely are on track to higher education. Apply now or speak with an Admissions Counselor to see how JIU can fit into your life and help you meet your personal and professional goals. Call 1.800.811.5663 (U.S.) or +1.303.784.8247 outside the U.S.
12-23 points: Your desire is there, but you need a bit more discipline and dedication to get the most out of your online learning experience. Perhaps a bit of focus and a shift in priorities is all you need to jumpstart your efforts. Please call the JIU Admissions Office at 1.800.811.5663 (U.S.) or +1.303.784.8247 outside the U.S. to overcome any barriers you have to a brighter future through higher education.
0-11 points: The online learning environment may be a challenge for you; however, creating a professional strategy, freeing up time in your schedule for your studies and building a support network may clear the path to your education. Our Admissions Counselors can help you through the process and support your goals as an online learner. Call the JIU Admissions Office at 1.800.811.5663 (U.S.) or +1.303.784.8247 outside the U.S. to schedule a free consultation.