This course gives candidates a comprehensive overview of historical, current, and emerging perspectives that relate to theory and practice of management of innovation, with a specific focus on sustainability in the business enterprise. This course will assist candidates in understanding the state of knowledge with regard to management of innovation and in identifying research opportunities in the field.
The course project, Research Paper: Interpreting Sustainability Factors of the 21st Century Business, focuses candidates on an analysis and synthesis of the major theoretical perspectives in sustainability and innovation and how they can be applied in a business organization by a research professional. Additionally, candidates will identify the impacts of current technological and globalization issues, and the potential path of theoretical evolution, given the presence of such issues in contemporary business enterprise.
Course Learning Objectives
- Develop both a historical and current perspective of management of innovation: the evolution of innovation and how theoretical perspectives have or continue to impact management practice and sustainable performance, and to understand the application of theoretical findings in a business enterprise.
- Review, analyze, and integrate the major theoretical underpinnings of innovation to help understand how these theories contribute to managerial strategies necessary for meeting the needs of the organization, the shareholders, customers and the business community.
- Analyze the current body of knowledge of innovation research pertaining to markets, competition and application of such findings in the current business environment.
- Apply research theories and identify methodological insights in beginning to build individual annotated bibliographic citations for use in the doctoral program.
- Identify applicable seminal research, theory, and/or methods from this course relevant to individual research question(s); and contribute to the field of study by extending previous knowledge.