This course introduces fundamental concepts in business. Key concepts in the course include:
- The role of businesses in an economy
- Business ownership, management, and organization
- Business ethics, corporate responsibility, and globalization
- Marketing concepts, accounting basics, and financial statements used in business
- Key considerations for using technology and managing human resources
In weekly assignments, students use business-specific terminology to write about concepts a business owner considers when completing a business plan.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe the role businesses play in an economy.
- Identify major categories of business ownership and the advantages or disadvantages offered by each.
- Define corporate responsibility and explain how being responsible can impact the decisions a business makes.
- Define marketing terminology such as target market, market segmentation, and the marketing mix.
- Identify the common financial statements used in business decision-making.
- Explain how an organization can use technology to develop and promote its products and services.
- Isolate issues related to motivating, retaining, and managing human resources.