In this course, students are introduced to fundamental concepts in business. This course will provide students with a solid foundation upon which their future business studies can build. Key concepts to be covered include:
- Business ownership, management, and organization
- Marketing and accounting plans
- Management of human capital using strategic and technological tools
- Corporate ethics
Each week, students watch a video or listen to audio material, view visual objects, and read relevant articles. In weekly assignments, they will participate in a discussion forum and complete an assignment using the concepts they are learning.
Course Learning Objectives
- Identify what constitutes a business plan and the role businesses play in our economy.
- Define categories of business ownership and criteria for ownership structure selection.
- Define categories of management and organizational structure and identify types of management structure from an organizational chart.
- Identify appropriate target markets and market segments.
- Identify common financial statements used in business decision-making.
- Define different types of management approaches and strategies.
- Identify the role of ethics in business decision-making.