This course introduces students to the legal system (courts and dispute resolution) and related ethical and social responsibility issues that are closely aligned with the legal system. Students will be introduced to administrative, criminal, tort, contract, business organizations, regulatory (securities and antitrust), and employment law, focusing not only on the legal rules but also on the topic of problem solving using legal rules.
In the course project, Handbook: Legal Guidelines for Business Managers, students highlight key areas of the law that impact decision-making and operations in their own organization and/or industry.
Course Learning Objectives
- Recognize legal and ethical issues and apply knowledge of law and ethics to help resolve real-world business issues and dilemmas.
- Think critically about a variety of legal and ethical issues and the impact on the operations of a business.
- Assess the importance and impact of regulatory agencies to the business operations of a selected industry.
- Explain to business professionals and managers what to expect when working with legal professionals, and how to make better decisions during a disputed issue.
- Apply knowledge of basic concepts of the law and the U.S. legal system to provide guidance to business professionals and managers on how laws and the legal system impact the operations of a business.