This course introduces students to the classic theories of management, exposing students to the foundational skills essential for modern managers and leaders. In the course, students will:
- Apply Henry Fayol's classic POLC framework to modern managerial issues
- Create and apply mission and vision statements
- Analyze and apply leadership strategies in management
In the course project, Report: Personal Management Style, students will analyze and apply the topics of each module in order to create a comprehensive personal style of management, preparing them to be proactive as managers in their careers.
Course Learning Objectives
- Analyze and apply Henri Fayol's classic POLC (Planning, Organizing, Leading, Controlling) frame of analysis.
- Create classic mission and vision statements for organizations by writing vision and mission statements for their own careers.
- Compare the differences between managers and leaders so as to assess personal capacity to lead.
- Analyze, plan, and manage organizational change with reference to classic concepts about organizational cultures, social networks, and employee motivation.
- Analyze and apply classic concepts of decision-making so as to lead and manage effectively.
- Evaluate classic team leadership concepts.
- Clearly state, explain, and substantiate their personal style of management.