This course enables students to communicate effectively in the business world and in life. To succeed in the workplace, it is essential to know the basics of technical writing, whether the task is to prepare a feasibility study for management, develop policies for the company, or create product specifications. This class will address how to properly write these types of business missives and more.
The course project, Technical Writing Portfolio: Real-world Business Writing, provides students an opportunity to create numerous types of documents that assist companies in developing and implementing new initiatives. Students will complete components of the business-oriented project throughout the course. The finished project will be worthy of inclusion in a student’s portfolio.
Course Learning Objectives
- Write clearly and effectively for a wide range of audiences.
- Conduct research needed to gather information for a feasibility study.
- Write a policy and procedure guide to implement a new company initiative.
- Write an instruction guide with illustrations for a large audience.
- Prepare a progress report to gauge the success of a project.
- Adapt various written materials for web-based readers.
- Create basic visual aids to support written materials.