This course systematically examines cost concepts in context, showing how cost accounting applies to a variety of service and manufacturing companies. It develops students' problem solving skills, requiring them to be realistic and concise. Students will investigate a wide range of related topics including:
- Product and service costing
- Management control systems
- Transfer pricing and variance analysis
- Non-financial measures of performance evaluation
Students in this course will participate in Forum discussions and solve realistic accounting problems. To complete assignments in this course, students must have access to Microsoft Excel® or compatible spreadsheet software.
Course Learning Objectives
- Discuss cost concepts and behaviors for decision-making within the cost accounting profession and its environment.
- Demonstrate mastery of fundamental cost analysis and estimation concepts and techniques related to planning and control.
Microsoft Excel® or compatible spreadsheet software is required to complete assignments in this course.