This course explores the application of contemporary communication theory to personal, business, and organizational life. The study of human communication theory by scholars is becoming increasingly important, so the scope and variety of communication theories is very deep and rich. Students will investigate a wide range of related topics including:
- Interpersonal and intrapersonal communication
- Systems and networks
- Leadership and persuasion
- Innovation and change
The course project is an Integrated Theory Analysis Report: Applying Communications Theories to Life. Students will focus on their own personal and work experiences and analyze them using communications theories. By joining together relevant macro and micro theories with personal experiences, this project brings communication theories into personally useful and insightful applications.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe the nature and use of practical but often hidden contemporary communication theories in daily life.
- Apply contemporary communication theories to their professional work and daily life.
- Evaluate how their personal and/or professional life is impacted or influenced by modern communicative technologies.