This course introduces students to key tools and concepts in intercultural communication, and explains their relevance against the backdrop of globalization dynamics in business, and everyday life. Through self-assessments, reflection assignments, and Forum discussions, students develop their awareness of the impact of intercultural communication on relationships and organizational outcomes. Students will examine such key topics as:
- Globalization and the need for cross-cultural competence
- Communication competencies for intercultural competence
- The impact of culture and perception on intercultural communication effectiveness
- Cultural dimensions as a tool for understanding patterns of behavior in groups of people
- Intercultural conflict dynamics
The course project, Final paper: Reflection on My Intercultural Communication Competence and Its Value, is structured to help you prepare for an interview for a “simulated job” position in a company that has a multi-cultural domestic workforce and client-base, and some international operations. You will write a final paper reflecting on what you learned throughout the course that contributes to your intercultural communication competence and its significance to your career.
Course Learning Objectives
- Discuss the impact of globalization with intercultural dynamics in business and everyday life.
- Articulate how their own culture shapes them as a communicator and impacts their intercultural communication effectiveness.
- Apply cultural dimensions as a tool to anticipate and address the impact that cultural differences will likely have on intercultural interactions in a business environment.
- Discuss how specific elements of intercultural competence can positively impact communication and business outcomes.
- Articulate the value of an inter-culturally competent employee for an organization.
- Assess their intercultural communication competence and identify competencies to be further developed that will contribute to improved professional effectiveness.