This course focuses on communicating with consumers through the process of integrated marketing communications (IMC). Students investigate a wide range of topics related to the role of IMC in the marketing mix that include:
- Integrating a variety of media options into the marketing mix, including sales promotions, social network marketing, guerrilla marketing, and trade and consumer advertising
- Managing the communication mix
- Determining the communication budget and which media options to buy
- Integrating all communications into a Media Plan and schedule
The course project, Integrated Marketing Communications Plan: A Comprehensive Plan for Implementing the Communication Strategy of a Product/Brand, focuses students on developing significant elements of an IMC plan for a product or brand.
Course Learning Objectives
- Determine roles and responsibilities for key tasks in the IMC.
- Develop generic global objectives for IMC messages.
- Determine a method for establishing an IMC budget.
- Analyze consumer behavior and determine appropriate media messages that target these consumers.
- Develop the Creative Strategy, the Appeals, and the General Media Plan for the IMC.
- Identify and describe traditional advertising in print and broadcast media and in non-traditional options to be used in the IMC plan.
- Determine which non-advertising IMC tools such as sales promotions are appropriate for the brand’s communications.
- Determine the appropriate PR, Internet, and interactive media to be used in the IMC for a given brand.
- Determine how to measure the effectiveness of the advertising and all other communication media in the IMC plan.
- Create key elements of an IMC plan for a specific brand and product or service.