This course focuses on the study of leadership both in theory and in practice. Students will consider what it means to be a leader, and how to carry out the tasks of leadership from a variety of perspectives. Along the way, students will assess their own leadership strengths and limitations, and develop a Personal Leadership Profile. They will examine such topics as:
- The personal traits and qualities of an effective leader
- Leadership skills, strategies, and styles
- Leading with vision and inspiration
- Leading in a global, multicultural society
For the course project, Personal Leadership Profile: A Self-reflective Case Study, students will conduct a case study of a leader of their choice whom they admire and about whom they can gather substantial research. Each week, they will analyze a different dimension of the selected leader's strengths and limitations (such as personal traits, behavioral styles, situational responsiveness, communication skills, relationship-building, and more). They will also evaluate their own strengths and limitations on these same leadership dimensions.
Course Learning Objectives
- Identify examples of effective and ineffective leaders and articulate a rationale for each choice.
- Evaluate the traits and personal qualities typically associated with leadership.
- Analyze the behavioral skills and styles of effective leaders and evaluate the efficacy of leadership training programs.
- Formulate principles of effective situational leadership by analyzing leadership behaviors in the context of the developmental level of the follower groups as well as the organizational context.
- Analyze the formation of high-quality leader-member exchanges, as well as in-groups and out-groups, in transactional leadership approaches.
- Analyze how to craft motivational and inspirational narratives based on the principles of transformational leadership.
- Identify the challenges leaders face in today's global and multicultural environment and formulate strategies for leading geographically dispersed teams.
- Prepare a Personal Leadership Profile and a Plan for Personal Development.