This course explores conceptual and practical tools for producing polished and professional oral presentations. Students will become familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of a variety of presentation aids, experiment with various presentation aids, and examine the kinds of adaptations necessary to meet the needs of a specific audience. Students will investigate a wide range of topics including:
- Audience profiling
- Techniques for delivery
- Slides, charts, and graphs
- Teleconference, virtual, and international presentations
Students will complete three video presentations during the course that involve increasing levels of complexity. The first will be a short speaking presentation with no media aids, the second will make use of one media aid, and the third will include two or more media aids with transitions.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe specific behaviors associated with excellent public/presentational speaking in a variety of different business circumstances.
- Identify the distinct attributes of an audience while building an audience profile for presentations.
- Assess current skills and goals for improving performance as a public speaker/business presenter.
- Outline the basic flow of a presentation to improve audience understanding.
- Generate multiple options for depicting concepts and information, enhancing audience connections, and furthering speaker credibility.
- Determine when to use presentation aids and which aids/supports are most appropriate for a given speaking situation.
- Prepare appropriate charts/graphs for data-driven material.
- Describe strengths and weaknesses associated with virtual or teleconference presentations.
- Analyze possible strategies to overcome barriers and enhance communication in a virtual presentation.
- Demonstrate the principles of polished and professional presentation delivery in a capstone presentation.
- A webcam with microphone or digital video camera with microphone (preferred)
- MovieMaker (Windows) or iMovie (Mac) (both free programs)
- Microsoft PowerPoint or OpenOffice Impress (free)
- QuickTime movie player