This course introduces basic characteristics of being a successful college student, which include using critical and creative thinking processes as well as problem solving skills. Topics covered include:
- Goal setting, motivation, and time management
- Identifying learning styles
- Critical and creative thinking as part of problem solving
- Writing in college
- Managing stress and anxiety
In weekly assignments, students engage in discussions and written assignments, demonstrating how they will incorporate these success factors into their college pursuits. Students also use MyFoundationsLab, an online learning tool, to help master strategies in reading, critical thinking, writing using cause/effect and paraphrase, and coping with stress.
Course Learning Objectives
- Outline educational goals and motivational factors needed to help achieve stated goals.
- Identify his or her learning style and ways to maximize that style in courses.
- Identify time management issues and use the SQ3R method for active reading to minimize time spent reading college texts.
- Use critical thinking to distinguish facts from opinions and analyze arguments.
- Employ a four-step problem solving process for managing time issues.
- Evaluate outside sources and paraphrase sources for use in college writing assignments.
- Assess stress levels associated with being a student and identify stress management techniques to employ.
This course requires the use of an online assessment and remediation tool for writing skills. MyFoundationsLab offers online assessment and remediation for college- and career-readiness skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. AT THIS TIME, MYFOUNDATIONSLAB IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE IPAD.
It is very important that students purchase the access code for MyFoundationsLab through the JIU bookstore, as the MyFoundationsLab code has been customized for work at JIU. JIU recommends purchasing the 1 year (52 week) access code that will remain active for one year from the date of first use. Students who have previously purchased the 1 year (52 week) access code for MyFoundationsLab work in other JIU courses do not have to purchase the code again unless it has expired. An option also exists for purchasing a 10 week access code that is good for the duration of this course only.