This course introduces basic characteristics of being a successful college student, which include using critical and creative thinking processes as well as problem solving skills. The topics will:
- Examine goal setting, motivation, and time management
- Identify learning styles
- Explore critical and creative thinking as part of problem solving
- Develop higher level writing skills in college
- Prepare students to manage stress and anxiety
As the course progresses, you will see how each element ties to the other, and you will learn more about preparing yourself for your upcoming courses at JIU.
Course Learning Objectives
- Develop personal goals and motivational factors related to each goal.
- Identify his or her personal learning style and ways to maximize that style in learning.
- Use critical thinking to distinguish facts from opinions and analyze arguments.
- Critically evaluate outside sources and paraphrase sources for use in college writing assignments.
- Evaluate personal stress levels and identify stress management techniques to lower stress.
- List time management issues and identify methodologies to improve time management.
- Identify self-motivational techniques.