This course introduces core concepts related to securing an enterprise's data and overall network configuration. Abundant in technical data and theory, it focuses on key topics such as:
- Security architecture including defense in depth, intrusion detection, and cryptographic systems
- Application, network, and operational security models
- Wireless and remote security
- Legal requirements in network security
In the course project, Network Security Assessment: Analyzing Network Defenses, students complete a series of qualitative network security assessments. Students will examine various aspects of a case study company's network security, security policies, and legal requirements related to network security to make recommendations for improvement.
Course Learning Objectives
- Create the scope of the network security assessment based upon objectives of the assessment and prioritization of network systems.
- Assess the relative strength of access controls for an enterprise and make recommendations for improvement.
- Evaluate the leading security models and major vulnerabilities associated with them.
- Apply the techniques of network architecture and design in order to create a defense in depth approach to protecting the network.
- Describe and recommend various cryptographic methods in securing data at rest and data in transit.
- Recommend strategies to prevent, detect, and respond to network intrusions.
- Explain how the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) Reference Model and the various protocols for transmission of data work together to provide secure communication between networks.
- Recognize and recommend the usage of secure methods in database security, software development, and patch and configuration management.
- Appraise security methods used in daily data transmissions, including email, wireless technologies, and remote access.
- Outline policies for securing systems, collecting evidence, and conducting investigations if a breach occurs.
- Create network security assessment documentation identifying company assets, outlining vulnerabilities, and making suggestions for improvements.
The CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide is a required resource that you will use throughout this set of specialization courses for Cyber Security. It is listed as a required text in all Cyber Security courses. You only need to purchase it once, unless later editions of the guide are released as you pursue the specialization.