This course addresses technologies that support candidates in designing activity-based instruction for K-12 students to encourage meaningful learning and critical thinking. This course also discusses the risks associated with Internet use by children.
In the course project, Technology Unit Plan and Presentation: Implementing Effective Activity-based Instruction, each candidate demonstrates effective application of knowledge, skills, and dispositions through the development of a technology unit plan that teaches K-12 students to use technology efficiently to develop a creative solution to a real-world problem, and a presentation of the unit plan for school administration and staff. The project is a key assessment for candidates in the MEd in K-12 Instructional Technology programs, and it is designed to demonstrate mastery of the International Society for Technology in Education Technology Facilitation Standards.
This course does not include a required field-based activity.
Course Learning Objectives
- Design developmentally appropriate standards-based instruction, based on current research of teaching and learning with technology, to support learner-centered strategies such as collaboration, higher order thinking, solving real-world problems, and informed decision making.
- Evaluate and select new information resources and technological innovations based on developmental appropriateness and suitability for specific tasks.
- Utilize a variety of technologies and resources to enhance learning, promote creativity, conduct research, evaluate sources, and produce creative works.
- Employ a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
- Create and model instructional technology-based activities that build upon students' previous knowledge to meet age-appropriate technology standards as defined by ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education).
- Discuss the importance of teaching Internet safety and tools available to assist schools and parents in keeping students safe.
- Inspiration. (You will download a free version. The instructions will be available in the class for a 30-day free trial version.)