This course introduces candidates to K-12 school resource management principles and practices. The course focuses on laws, policies and procedures that guide the establishment of school resource management programs at the macro level, and it focuses on practices that guide the implementation of school resource management practices at the micro level. Included in the course are the principles and practices for developing and maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment that supports staff professional development and student achievement gains.
In the course project, Resource Management Guide: Administering Business Operations in a School Setting, students will describe the application of principles and practices of K-12 school business operation and resource management in a real school setting. As part of the project, candidates will also create a health, safety and security plan for a school, and conduct the audit on either health, safety or security. The culminating project for the course is to write and publish the manual.
This course includes a field-based experience. Candidates must complete four to eight hours onsite in a K-12 school-based placement.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe the principles and practices of school business operations and resource management and the role of the K-12 administrator in the governance of these matters, including laws, regulations, policies, and legal and ethical requirements.
- Describe the principles and practices of strategic, long-range and operational planning for increasing school effectiveness and student safety, wellness and learning through the management of time, fiscal, human and material resources.
- Describe the role of the K-12 administrator in the governance of operational principles and practices, priority management, resource deployment, staff involvement and technology applications.
- Describe the principles and practices of strategic, long-range and operational planning of resources in a K-12 school.
- Describe the principles and practices of governance of fiscal, human, facility, material, service and external community resources in K-12 schools.
- Describe the principles and practices of raising external and community resources in a K-12 school.