This course explores the processes involved in determining specific needs in an educational environment that can be used to assist in the evaluation and selection of educational technology as the rationale for decisions, planning, and designing a strategic technology plan. The course examines available technology as related to curriculum, standards, and assessment in a variety of educational settings.
In the course project, Technology Integration Strategic Plan: Creating a Shared Vision, students create a shared vision for the integration of technology through the development of a technology integration strategic plan that includes a needs assessment, timeline, and budget. For students in the MEd in Education Leadership and Administration (K-12) programs, the course project s a key assessment designed to demonstrate mastery of the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) professional standards.
This course does not include a required field-based activity.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe and discuss major challenges faced by educators when planning and implementing technology to support teaching and learning.
- Examine and identify past events and advances in educational technology that influence practice today as well as possible applications of technology for the future classroom.
- Design and conduct an analysis of needs and opportunities for technology in a specific organizational setting.
- Discuss and describe specific learning theories as applied to technology integration, teaching, learning, and data-driven assessment.
- Identify and apply key criteria for evaluating specific technology tools and applications in the context of standards-based instruction.
- Design and develop a research and development plan including evaluation for technology in a specific learning or organizational setting.
- Identify, evaluate, and select specific technology tools appropriate for standards-based literacy content area instruction, and other uses.
- Describe current status and trends in educational technology that may be appropriate for a specific learning environment.
- Design a strategic technology plan based on needs, evaluative processes, and budget.