This course will prepare principal/administrator candidates to evaluate K-12 education technology and effectively utilize information systems. Candidates will investigate appropriate and suggested uses of technology and information systems to:
- Address student learning needs and reinforce instructional objectives
- Individualize and enrich curriculum and instruction
- Manage and communicate data and information
- Track student academic progress
- Monitor and improve instructional practices
- Inform professional evaluation and growth plans
- Address decisions informed by data
The course project, A School Board Presentation: Information Technology Integration Plan will enable candidates to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to develop and implement a strategic technology plan including demonstrating technological literacy, evaluating and selecting educational technology, and monitoring and evaluate the use of technology in learning and instruction for improvement and sustainability.
This course does not include a required field-based or clinical practice experience.
Course Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate technological literacy through the use of technology in course assignments including presenting data, and using instructional technologies and online tools such as webcams and video uploads.
- Analyze major challenges faced by educators when planning and implementing technology to support teaching and learning.
- Describe technology policies including: confidentiality, release and use of student records, and appropriate student use of technology.
- Design and conduct an analysis of needs and opportunities for technology to support student achievement.
- Apply current research on teaching and learning with technology when planning data-driven, standards-based, individualized programs of instruction.
- Analyze technology tools for managing and communicating information and data to a variety of stakeholders.
- Evaluate, select and promote the use of specific technology tools to enrich curriculum, instruction and assessment based on effectiveness, efficiency and cost.
- Analyze information management systems for tracking student academic progress and instructional practices, and evaluating impact.
- Create a strategic technology integration plan, aligned with national, state, and district standards, that addresses school needs, evaluative processes and budget.
- Apply ethical practices within the data-driven decision-making process, and in support of improvement in learning and instruction.
This course requires the preparation of a one-minute voice/video reminder. You may use Jing or any voice messaging system.