This course explores media characteristics, usability and accessibility, types of interaction, and how to facilitate engagement, as well as technical aspects of standard and new online technologies. Students will learn the differences between and details about content management systems and learning management systems (CMS or LMS), Web 2.0 technologies, and web authoring tools.
The course project, Online Learning Model: Designing an Effective Learning Environment, is a technology-based online environment that the student can use with their learners or other groups of users in their setting. Candidates will plan an online environment that accomplishes a communication, productivity, or learning objective and that explains why they selected that particular technology along with the necessary design considerations such as stakeholders, accessibility/universal design requirements, interactivity, and data collection.
Course Learning Objectives
- Categorize the array of online technologies into types of technologies based on characteristics.
- Evaluate online technologies based on criteria related to usability, accessibility, and other criteria that could impact the success of an online implementation.
- Select a technology or technology set for use based on a clearly defined objective.
- Explain and justify the design considerations that led to the selection of the technology you will use to create your online environments.
- Create a basic online environment using a technology covered in the class that incorporates usability, accessibility, and addresses the needs of diverse learners.
- Design an online environment that facilitates interaction, reinforces learning and increases productivity (i.e. goes beyond just content delivery or one-way information flow).
- Create a basic multimedia object based on multimedia learning principles that increases learning and/or productivity.
- Establish a plan for evaluating the efficacy of the online environment.
Trial/free versions of the following (to be downloaded once the course begins):
- Web editor
- Graphics editor
- Video editor
- GIF animation tool
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) tool
- Zip archiving tool
- Macromedia Flash