Assessment of Learning Programs explores the principles and practices for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of learning programs for adult education programs. Students will have the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills and abilities to apply different learning program assessment methodologies for adult education programs.
While assessment and evaluation are considered marginally different, program assessment is a term used in the accreditation and accountability of educational programs and is a focus of the course. Additionally, other evaluation approaches useful in non-educational fields will be explored to address pluralistic views and approaches.
The course blends two instructional strategies. First, students explore the basic principles and related practices for applying the elements of learning program assessments. Second, students will apply the learned principles and practices in a sponsored synthesizing project implementing learning program evaluation methodologies to assess a learning program in an actual adult learning environment.
The course project, Report: Program Assessment, is designed to demonstrate mastery of the course objectives. A program assessment will be conducted for one of the sponsoring organizations adult education programs. To commence, a program assessment proposal and plan will be created along with a research methodology plan and data collection instruments. Once the assessment is completed, a final written report specifying the process and outcomes of the learning assessment for one of the sponsoring organization’s adult education programs will be the synthesizing course project. Additionally, a peer review of fellow classmate’s learning assessment reports will be conducted to provide valuable feedback before submitting a final version.
Course Learning Objectives
- Analyze and explore the purpose, history, and use of learning program assessments.
- Differentiate among program evaluation models and their underlying philosophy.
- Determine the requirements, responsibilities, and procedures for implementing a learning program assessment and compose a learning program assessment plan.
- Assess and elucidate the potential impact of learning program assessments on political, social and ethical realms.
- Evaluate and select data collection and analysis methods for learning program assessments including sampling selection.
- Implement data collection, and analyze and assess the data collected for learning program assessments.
- Evaluate and synthesize findings, conclusions, and recommendations for the learning program.
- Compose and critically appraise learning assessment reports.