Leadership in Adult Education covers the principles and practices of being a leader in an organization with adult education programs. It provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to accurately and completely assess and utilize principles, strategies and methodologies for leading adult education programs. The course blends two instructional strategies. First, the student explores the basic principles and related practices, strategies and methodologies of leadership for adult education programs. Second, the student applies these learned principles and practices in a sponsored course project applying adult education leadership principles, strategies and methodologies in an adult learning organization.
The course project, Adult Education Leadership, is designed to demonstrate mastery of the course objectives. Adult education leadership principles, strategies and methodologies will be applied to one of the sponsoring organization's adult education programs. A final written report, Adult Education Leadership, will chronicle the process and outcomes of applying the learned leadership principles, strategies and methodologies to one of the sponsoring organization’s adult education programs.
Course Learning Objectives
- Identify, assess and apply leadership concepts to the leadership of adult education programs.
- Evaluate and integrate leadership theories to the leadership of adult education programs.
- Select your personal leadership style and illustrate how your style affects how you lead as an adult education leader.
- Appraise and integrate the role of ethics and values in adult education leadership.
- Formulate the role of the adult education leader in managing change in adult education organizations.
- Recognize, evaluate and explain organizational culture and how it impacts the adult education leader.
- Assess and illustrate how adult education leaders provide institutional leadership on a daily basis.