Through a 40-hour field-based internship experience, this course bridges classic classroom theory about adult education leadership into challenging frontline and hands-on practice to ground students in the realities of adult education leadership. It is also a voyage of discovery in which students can gain and test their own leadership insights from their internship mentors and their final course project on an adult education leadership topic of their choice.
For their field-based experience, students are expected to assume as much adult education leadership responsibility as their site allows.
Course Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate observance of ethical and legal standards.
- Demonstrate exemplary professional knowledge and skills in adult education leadership field experience.
- Evaluate adult education programs to discover and illustrate improvement opportunities for them.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills while participating in an adult education field experience.
- Evaluate the mentoring / coaching skills of the onsite internship mentor.
- Demonstrate proficiency in identifying and successfully working with adult education program stakeholders.
- Illustrate, through field experiences, the successful transfer of theory into practice when cultivating vocational and consulting skills.
- Identify and cultivate onsite contacts to advance career networking beyond being an intern.