This course analyzes and evaluates the purposes of education in a democracy. The goal of this course is to help candidates find ways to improve K-12 education that strengthen democratic ideals.
The course project, Argument Paper: Solving an Educational Problem, requires candidates to choose an important educational problem to solve. Candidates analyze and evaluate the purposes of education in a democracy, how the problem has impacted teaching over the last 50–100 years and currently, potential solutions and their impact of those solutions on a democracy.
Course Learning Objectives
- Analyze and evaluate the purposes of education in a democracy.
- Analyze and evaluate the history of a specific education problem.
- Analyze and evaluate potential solutions to the specific education problem.
- Analyze and evaluate the ways in which the potential solutions impact democracy.
- Write a synthetic plan to solve an important education problem.