English 100 introduces the writing process as a key to successful writing. This course helps to prepare the student for the academic writing in all their Jones International University courses.
Course content focuses on developing skills to create strong, effective written documents covering topics such as:
- Pre-writing, planning, and drafting techniques
- Revision and editing methods
- Document formatting
- Incorporating feedback
There will be a course project required to be completed for this course. Students will prepare a properly written, five-paragraph narrative essay. They will select from a list of topics provided.
Also, this course requires the use of MyFoundationsLab (MFL)throughout the course. MFL is a complete online diagnostic and remediation resource tool for improving basic writing skills. It offers online analysis and remediation for college- and career-readiness skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. Students will complete related assignments in MFL, which includes a diagnostic analysis of basic writing skills, skill building in areas that need improvement, and a final examination of the learning that has occurred.
Note: At this time MyFoundationsLab will not work with an Apple iPad. If your only option is to use an iPad, contact your SSA.
Course Learning Objectives
- Apply planning and prewriting techniques to develop clear, organized writings.
- Develop an outline for writing an essay.
- Write an effective thesis statement.
- Write, revise, and edit a document so that it demonstrates understanding of the key concepts of audience, topic, and purpose.
- Apply the writing process to communicate ideas clearly to others in all writings, demonstrated in Forum postings.
- Apply the OREO approach when commenting on the work of others, and in a structured peer review.
- Demonstrate ability to format an APA style document and prepare a properly written APA-style 5-paragraph essay.
- Submit writings to SmartThinking and demonstrate ability to incorporate feedback.
This course requires the use of an online assessment and remediation tool for basic writing skills. MyFoundationsLab offers online assessment and remediation for college- and career-readiness skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. AT THIS TIME, MYFOUNDATIONSLAB IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE IPAD.
It is very important that students purchase the access code for MyFoundationsLab through the JIU bookstore, as the MyFoundationsLab code has been customized for work at JIU. JIU recommends purchasing the 1 year (52 week) access code that will remain active for one year from the date of first use. Students who have previously purchased the 1 year (52 week) access code for MyFoundationsLab work in other JIU courses do not have to purchase the code again unless it has expired. An option also exists for purchasing a 10 week access code that is good for the duration of this course only.