This course explores writing, research, analysis, inquiry, argument, revision, editing, and APA format, all of which are needed to meet the many writing requirements in Jones International University courses. In addition, students acquire skills that will be beneficial as they continue in their careers and personal life. Course content investigates a wide range of related topics including:
- Outlining inquiry-based research and framing questions
- Conducting and evaluating secondary research
- Creating a persuasive essay using forms of argument
- Avoiding plagiarism, properly citing sources, and using APA guidelines
In the course project, Source-based Essay: Persuading an Audience, students design an inquiry-based research project with framing questions, analyze and evaluate sources, and make an argument about how their JIU degree will help them in their chosen careers. Students will also complete a Learning Path and related assignments using MyFoundationsLab, which includes a diagnostic assessment of writing skills and remediation in skills that need improvement.
Course Learning Objectives
- Frame questions for inquiry research.
- Define terms for conducting research effectively.
- Participate in collaborative discussions.
- Use techniques to create persuasive arguments.
- Analyze and consider audience in presenting arguments and ideas.
- Conduct research using different searching criteria.
- Evaluate sources applying the source evaluation guidelines.
- Cite sources properly and understand plagiarism.
- Participate in peer reviews to increase effectiveness in presentation.
- Use the writing process to compose a persuasive source-based paper.
- Use basic APA technical and structural formatting to complete a written document.
- Enhance basic writing skills through MyFoundationsLab exercises.
This course requires the use of an online assessment and remediation tool for writing skills. MyFoundationsLab offers online assessment and remediation for college- and career-readiness skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. AT THIS TIME, MYFOUNDATIONSLAB IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE IPAD.
It is very important that students purchase the access code for MyFoundationsLab through the JIU bookstore, as the MyFoundationsLab code has been customized for work at JIU. JIU recommends purchasing the 1 year (52 week) access code that will remain active for one year from the date of first use. Students who have previously purchased the 1 year (52 week) access code for MyFoundationsLab work in other JIU courses do not have to purchase the code again unless it has expired. An option also exists for purchasing a 10 week access code that is good for the duration of this course only.