This course explores writing, research, analysis, inquiry, argument, revision, and editing as part of successful writing in Jones International University® courses. Course content investigates a wide range of related topics including:
- Outlining inquiry-based research and framing questions
- Conducting and evaluating secondary research
- Creating a persuasive essay using forms of argument
- Avoiding plagiarism, properly citing sources, and using APA guidelines
In the course project, Source-based Essay: Persuading an Audience, students design an inquiry-based research project, generate framing questions, research answers to those questions, analyze and evaluate sources, and make an argument about how their JIU degree will help them in their chosen careers. Students will also complete a Learning Path and related assignments using MyFoundationsLab, which includes a diagnostic assessment of writing skills and remediation in skills that need improvement.
Course Learning Objectives
- Use the writing process to compose a research-based paper that uses valid and persuasive arguments appropriate to selected audiences.
- Design, conduct, and document an inquiry-based research project.
- Conduct research with secondary sources, analyzing and evaluating the sources for application to the research project.
- Participate in collaborative discussions, including peer reviews, to increase the effectiveness of written documents.
- Use basic APA technical and structural formatting for a written document.
This course requires the use of an online assessment and remediation tool for writing skills. MyFoundationsLab offers online assessment and remediation for college- and career-readiness skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. AT THIS TIME, MYFOUNDATIONSLAB IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE IPAD.
It is very important that students purchase the access code for MyFoundationsLab through the JIU bookstore, as the MyFoundationsLab code has been customized for work at JIU. JIU recommends purchasing the 1 year (52 week) access code that will remain active for one year from the date of first use. Students who have previously purchased the 1 year (52 week) access code for MyFoundationsLab work in other JIU courses do not have to purchase the code again unless it has expired. An option also exists for purchasing a 10 week access code that is good for the duration of this course only.