Welcome to JIU101: Orientation – Successful Online Learning! This brief, but mandatory, orientation course will prepare you for a successful experience in your first regular course and a successful entry in your degree program at JIU.
This orientation covers what to expect at JIU, how to work through a JIU course, and specific skills and resources that will help ensure your success.
In required assignments, you will:
- Create your Profile.
- Upload a file to your Personal Workspace.
- Submit an assignment to the Grade Book.
- Post a message with a file attachment to the Course Forum.
- Affirm that you have reviewed and completed all required activities in this course.
Course Learning Objectives
- Explore what you can expect from JIU and its teaching faculty and what they will expect from you.
- Access the JIU Bookstore, the Whom to Contact matrix, and your student email account.
- Confirm that your computer has the hardware and software required to take JIU courses.
- Navigate a JIU course and use the features of the course delivery platform.
- Recognize the expectations for formal writing assignments and Forum discussions, including how to avoid plagiarism.
- Access JIU resources, including TurnItIn.com, JIU Library, and Total Professional Advantage® 2.0.
This orientation course has five assignments: Assignments 1.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 8.1. (The first number in each decimal pair designates the module in which each assignment resides. These five assignments are in Modules 1, 4, 5, 7, and 8.) You must satisfactorily complete all five assignments to successfully pass the orientation and proceed to your first JIU course. Don’t worry! Each assignment is easy and quick to complete.