This course examines how human resources management practices can be applied most effectively in managing healthcare professionals. Healthcare managers routinely face challenging operational, ethical, and strategic choices. Indeed, managing even a small community hospital is remarkably complex, and the consequences of even minor errors are sobering. Students will investigate a wide range of related topics including:
- Strategic management of healthcare human resources
- Job design, recruitment, and selection
- Performance management and training
- Reward systems and compensation
The course project is a Job Analysis: Designing Procedures and Management Tools for Staffing a Specific Healthcare Position. Students will develop a job description, recruitment and selection procedures, performance management tools, and a compensation and benefits plan.
Course Learning Objectives
- Complete a health profession analysis.
- Based on your analysis of an organization's mission statement and other documents, explain what the human resources philosophy of an organization implies for the management of the organization.
- Determine the structure, scope, and objectives of a state licensure board.
- Complete a detailed job analysis, identifying the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and other attributes required to do the job.
- Write an accurate job description based on your job analysis.
- Identify effective ways that the Internet may be used in recruitment.
- Develop a recruitment plan.
- Develop a selection plan, and design selection tools to implement your plan.
- Develop a performance management plan.