This course examines the basics of healthcare marketing with an emphasis on how marketing informs, helps to develop, and contributes to the business growth goals of a healthcare organization. Emphasis is placed on balancing the needs of a diverse range of buyers, sellers, and stakeholders; developing and critiquing healthcare marketing communications; and incorporating new communications media and technologies into the healthcare marketing mix. Students will explore a wide variety of topics including:
- Healthcare marketing strategy and branding
- Market analysis and market research
- Marketing channels and communications
- Customer relationship management
The course project is a Marketing Plan: Launching a Healthcare Product or Service. Students will develop a complete marketing plan, create a marketing communication product, critique a healthcare advertisement, and investigate how healthcare organizations are using social media for marketing and customer/stakeholder relationship management.
Course Learning Objectives
- Apply the fundamental principles of marketing to healthcare organizations.
- Conduct a competitive market analysis.
- Formulate a marketing plan for a new or enhanced healthcare product service.
- Develop marketing objectives, strategies, and tactics.
- Create a healthcare marketing communication product.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a healthcare marketing communications product.
- Discuss the use of various types of social media in healthcare.