This course is designed to promote an understanding of the theory and practice of negotiation. Negotiation is presented as a complex social and communicative skill, which is as necessary for managing everyday life as it is for succeeding professionally in a multicultural and globalized world.
The course project is a Comprehensive Negotiation Plan: Preparing to Enter a Negotiation. Students will apply course concepts and principles to prepare for a negotiation situation of their choice and propose a constructive course of action. Students will complete weekly project installments that will culminate in a comprehensive final project.
Course Learning Objectives
- Identify personal negotiation values and competencies.
- Analyze the role of leverage and power in the distributive approach to negotiation.
- Analyze the process of joint value creation in the integrative approach to negotiation.
- Analyze the transformation of social interactions through the relational approach to negotiation.
- Evaluate the potential impact of culture and gender on negotiation behavior and strategy.
- Apply techniques for the special situations of multiparty negotiation, negotiation agents, and third-party neutrals in complex negotiations.
- Evaluate the impact of law and ethics on negotiations.
- Develop a comprehensive negotiation plan.