This course focuses on strategic thinking in the field of project management by linking projects to an organization’s strategic plan, thereby ensuring the most effective means of using resources to expand the organization’s business line. Students will investigate a wide range of related topics including:
- Strategic performance standards
- Strategic fit
- Non-traditional project teams
- Stakeholder management
The course project is an Analysis Paper: Assessing Strategic Management of Projects. Students will assess the strategic management of projects within an organization to determine how it affects the organization’s ability to grow in an ever-changing environment with limited resources, increased competitive pressure, and new challenges.
Course Learning Objectives
- Evaluate the potential strategic impact of a proposed project.
- Develop a position paper that places a project in the context of an existing strategic plan.
- Apply best practice in the area of strategic management to the development, implementation, and evaluation of a project.