This course provides a multidisciplinary exploration of the contemporary social implications of modern science and technology. Course topics address scientific and technological developments that have generated social debate in recent years. Topics discussed include:
- Energy demands
- Health and medical developments
- Space and information technological advances
The course project, Position Portfolio: Developing Opinions on Scientific and Technological Developments, is a collection of papers written by the student about module-specific topics. Using text readings, web resources, and module themes, students formulate their own positions on controversial topics.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe the role of governments, businesses, scientific experts, and private citizens in advancing and regulating scientific and technological development.
- Identify the pros and cons of alternative energy forms.
- Weigh risks associated with increased agricultural production methods.
- Evaluate the idea of space exploration for human colonization.
- Describe the social impact of information technology with respect to privacy rights.
- Explain issues related to biotechnology and genetic cloning.