This course is designed to increase students' competence in public speaking. The ability to speak in public is an important, transferable skill that is particularly important for students who aspire to management positions. Additionally, students who are competent in public-speaking situations tend to have higher levels of self-confidence, which can enhance their effectiveness in a variety of communication contexts—such as leading a meeting or interviewing for a job.
The course content leads students through a systematic process of message construction, including:
Organizing, developing, and dramatizing ideas
Constructing introductions and conclusions
Learning strategies for effective self-presentation
Course Project: The course project is comprised of three components: 1) A full-content outline, 2) an 8–10 minute informative presentation, and 3) a bibliography containing at least five references formatted according to APA guidelines.
Course Learning Objectives
- Identify criteria for selecting topics for informative presentations.
- Organize messages by using one of the organizing schemes for framing and structuring messages.
- Develop messages using multiple strategies for developing, dramatizing (message style), and enhancing the attention-value of the ideas contained in the outline and presentation.
- Construct an introduction and conclusion for an informative presentation using functions and strategies for opening and closing messages.
- Integrate strategies for effective self-presentation and delivery into the outline and presentation.
- Construct a full-content outline containing an introduction, two main points, supporting sub-points, and a conclusion.
- Plan and execute an 8–10 minute informative presentation containing an introduction, two main points, supporting sub-points, and a conclusion.
- Develop an APA-formatted bibliography containing at least five references.
A webcam and microphone are required to complete the assignments and course project in this course. If you do not already have this equipment, please order it from the online JIU bookstore now.