Montgomery GI Bill

Photo courtesy of Department of DefenseThe Montgomery GI Bill encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (MGIB-AD) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR). The MGIB-AD provides up to 36 months of educational benefits and benefits may be used up to 10 years from the date of last discharge or release from active duty. Montgomery GI Bill benefits can be used for:

  • Flight training
  • Technical training
  • Career training
  • Online courses
  • Apprenticeships
  • Career education
  • Licensing and certification exams
  • Entrepreneurship training

To be eligible to receive MGIB benefits you need to apply while still on active duty. To apply for MGIB-AD benefits complete the VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.

Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.  A reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

As a member of the Selected Reserve you may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits to use for:

  • Degree programs
  • Certificate or correspondence courses
  • Cooperative training
  • Independent study programs
  • Apprenticeship/on-the-job training
  • Vocational flight training programs

When you become eligible your unit will give you a DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the Department of Defense personnel system so that VA may verify your eligibility.

You should then make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are not clear on this point, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.

Obtain and complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the State where you will train. If you have started training, take your application and your Notice of Basic Eligibility to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, (this form is not available online) Enrollment Certification, and send all the forms to VA.

Our Admissions Counselors are available to help answer any questions you may have about your MGIB benefits and you can also click here for more information.