At JIU your success is our mission, which is why we created the JIU Military Advancement Program (MAP). MAP was developed exclusively to help service members create a path to success in their career and educational goals.
Our admission counselors will help you:
Our admissions counselors will help you work through any reservations about returning to school or the concept of pursuing an online education including exploring the best fit of a new study schedule with your current military lifestyle and work routine. They will also help you determine your eligibility, as you may be eligible by exam or receive credit for prior learning. In fact, with transfer credits, credit for prior learning, and the opportunity to be awarded credits through CLEP and DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) examinations, you may already be well on your way to furthering your academic achievement. (GMAT scores are not required for admission into a JIU graduate program.)
Review Tuition Assistance Options
As a service member, you are eligible for several Federal tuition programs that our Military Specialist Financial Aid Advisors can help you identify and review to make your education a financially feasible goal. At JIU your costs will be limited to reduced tuition rates and fees for books and other course materials. Financing and payment options are also available.
Policy for Postponing Education without Charge:
- No charge when your education is postponed for up to 2 terms (8 months).
- Possible Extensions when a military student needs to delay more than 2 terms (due to a deployment) JIU will work with the student to obtain approval for a no-cost extension.
Transition to Personal Student Support Counselor (SSC)
Once you have been admitted into JIU you will be assigned a Student Support Counselor (SSC). Your SSC will be your "personal trainer" who will help set you up for success and see you through every step of the way, until you graduate. Together, you'll create a degree program and course of study that is manageable and achievable. Your SSC will guide you through the steps of registering for a course and introduce you to the online convenience of JIU's global e-library and bookstore.
Contact the JIU admissions counseling team now to explore how JIU can help you become a lifelong learner and build capabilities to advance your military career.
- Top 5 best online university—Named by the Global Academy Online's "Best and Worst in Online Degree Programs", based upon faculty, economics, accreditation, administrative leadership and current student/graduate value.
- Top 20 World MBA Program—Named by CEO Magazine.
- Regionally accredited*—The first fully online institution in the U.S. to receive regional accreditation.
- 95% of students recommend JIU—Our students' satisfaction is our highest praise.
- Top-tier faculty—JIU instructors come from prestigious universities such as Harvard, MIT and Oxford.
- Classes start monthly—No need to wait for the quarter or semester to start.
- Quality degree programs—Students choose from Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral Degrees and Certificate programs in education or business.
- Online courses designed to accelerate learning—Courses have been designed, tested and proven to optimize the online learning experience.
- Military tuition assistance—Undergraduate degrees for military personnel and dependents at military tuition assistance rates.
- 20% graduate tuition scholarship—Graduate studies are highly affordable with 20% tuition scholarships for military personnel and their dependents.
- Undergraduate book program—Covers the cost of textbooks, e-books and any downloadable required readings for military students earning undergraduate degree credits.
- No Fees – There are no application or academic fees for JIU military students and their dependents.
- Service branch scholarships—JIU military scholarships apply to active duty, reserves, guard, honorably discharged veterans, retired and dependents of these groups.
- G.I. Bill—JIU is approved for various education assistance programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, including being a 2010-2011 Yellow Ribbon University.
- Top 10 military friendly university—Named by G.I. Jobs, Military Advanced Education and AllMilitary.com.
- Flexible student policies—Military students can flexibly manage classwork, duty and mobility requirements.
- Military Partnerships
- Air Force Associate-to-Baccalaureate Cooperative partner - Category I AU-ABC partner, aligns all Air Force codes to bachelor's degree options.
- Army - GoArmyED upfront tuition assistance available.
- Army - Recruiting Command Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP) partner.
- Coast Guard – SOCCOAST-4 university.
- Marine – SOCMAR-4 university.
- Navy – NCPDLP Partner, SOCNAV-4 university.
- Sentinels of Freedom - Preferred online education provider for Sentinels of Freedom.
- Troops to Teachers - Participant with Troops to Teachers program.
- AFCEA - Selected courses offered by AFCEA.
- Professional advancement—Students have access to licensed career advisors and career workshops to help them develop a professional portfolio.