State Disclosure

State Authorization

JIU’s operations (as performed currently) are regulated by certain state education authorities.  JIU monitors state laws to ensure that it is authorized in states in which it enrolls students, and that require such authorization. In the event that a change in JIU operations or a change in State regulations necessitates authorization, JIU will obtain such additional authorization, licensure or approval.   Some states either do not regulate JIU activities or regulate its activities but exempt it from obtaining authorization due to its regional accreditation or the lack of a physical presence. To learn more about JIU's state authorization status by state or to obtain state contact information, please click here.

Please note, that although JIU is approved institutionally to operate in a state, certain programs may not be approved by the state.  For this reason, it is important for our students also to read the following section on State Certification and Licensure and review the linked document "educator agencies."   

Filing with Accrediting Agency and Relevant State Agency

Students seeking to file a complaint with their state may find contact information in the State Authorization document.

Students seeking to file a complaint with JIU’s accrediting agency, The Higher Learning Commission, may find that information here.

Certification and Licensure

To aid students with their responsibility to determine their state's educator licensure requirements, JIU provides a listing of educator agencies for all states.

JIU offers programs that are acceptable for educator or educational administrator certification in most states.

Eligibility for initial educator certification in your state of residence is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. JIU’s programs are approved in Colorado. Even though you may be residing in a state other than Colorado while in your program, your application for educator certification in your state of residence will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to for more information.

Many licensed educators pursue an additional degree in order to meet state or professional requirements for career advancement. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts and consult their state educator agency website as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement.

JIU performs an annual review of state licensure requirements. Because all state licensure requirements are subject to change at any time, it is imperative that the student regularly determines the requirements for the state in which s/he intend to seek licensure, including any state where the student intends to relocate. To aid students with their responsibility to determine their state requirements, JIU provides a listing of educator agencies for all states on this State Disclosure webpage. This information is provided as guidance only and JIU cannot guarantee that the information is accurate and current.