Accessibility Services FAQ

ADA Policies

Jones International University,® Ltd. is committed to ensuring students with disabilities access to its educational programs and services by providing reasonable accommodations. To that end, JIU has appointed a Office of Accessibility Coordinator whose responsibility is to help students determine the assistance they may need to participate fully in JIU's educational programs. The Office of Accessibility Coordinator works with these individuals, within the confines of JIU's online teaching program and the law, to implement timely and reasonable accommodations for participation. Please visit the Office of Accessibility Services for more information.

What accommodations are offered at Jones International University?

Students requesting reasonable accommodations will collaborate with the Office of Accessibility Coordinator (OAC) to review their circumstances and develop an accomodation plan. Students can contact the OAC at Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

Accommodations are reasonable when they do not fundamentally alter the nature of a program or service and do not represent an undue financial or administrative burden to the University. We are able to provide academic adjustments or accommodations; however, we are not required to modify academic and non-academic standards.

How do I receive an accommodation?

Please see the instructions for submitting an accommodation request and review the documentation requirements on the Accommodation Requests page.You must begin the accommodation request process by directly contacting the Office of Accessibility Coordinator at 800.811.5663 x8368 or

What if I don't know what accommodation to request?

The first question you should ask yourself is "How am I struggling in my studies?" The answer to that question will usually lead you to the modifications that you need to accommodate your situation. If you are still having difficulty determining which accommodations may be appropriate for you, you may discuss your situation with the Office of Accessibility Coordinator and determine what is right for you.

I am a prospective student with a disability. Do I have to tell my Admissions Counselor or Student Student Solutions Advisor about my concerns? Will my situation influence my admission to the college?

No. You are not obligated to inform the University of your condition during the admissions process, nor are your required to disclose any issues with the University, unless you are requesting an accommodation for your education. The presence of a disability will not influence your admission to the University at all.

Do I have to pay extra for accommodations?

No. Reasonable accommodations are provided by the college at no cost to the student.

Do I have to request an accommodation if I have a disability?

No. You only have to request accommodations if you want to use them in your studies. Accommodations will not be suggested or offered unless you identify yourself as a student with accomodation need(s) and request them.

What is the difference between asking my instructor for an accommodation and talking with the Office of Accessibility Coordinator about an accommodation?

Requesting accommodations through JIU's Office of Accessibility Services officially notifies the college that you are a student with an accomodation need and invokes the protection of the state and federal disability laws. Talking with your instructors about what modifications you may need in your online courses does not.

Can I get a waiver for program requirements for my need(s)?

Waiving requirements or other academic decisions or standards are not accommodations. They are handled separatly from the accommodation process. These requests necessitate the review of your school Dean and, possibly, the Academic Review Committee. The Office of Accessibility Coordinator can help you determine whether or not your request for accommodations is actually a request that requires an academic decision from another department.

Does the University have to provide assistive technology and computer equipment for my use at home if it will accommodate my need(s)?

No. The law does not require the college to purchase personal services, equipment or aids for you. You are responsible for providing your own equipment for home use. The Office of Accessibility Coordinator will do their best to offer you information on resources to connect you with the assistive technology or equipment you may need.

I think I have a disability but I have not been diagnosed. Will JIU pay for my evaluation if I share my suspicions with the Office of Accessibility Coordinator?

No. It is the student's responsibility to determine whether or not a disability is present. The law does not require the college to identify and evaluate students who may have disabilities or other conditions.

I cannot use regular print textbooks and need textbooks in an alternative format. Why must I pay for a copy of the textbook that I cannot use?

Due to copyright law, students are required to purchase the print version of the textbook in order to obtain a copy of the textbook in an alternative format. This is done to protect the publisher's and author's copyright interests. If you can find your textbook on Bookshare, Learning Ally, or the National Library Service, you will not be required to purchase the print version, however, you must qualify as an individual with a print disability per each programs' requirements and be approved for membership within these programs in order to have access to their books.

What is a print disability?

A print disability is defined when an individual cannot effectively read standard printed material because of a visual, physical, perceptual, developmental, cognitive, or learning disability. Students will need to consult with a qualified professional to determine if they have a print disability. JIU does not offer diagnostic services.

I Have a Temporary Disability. Can I get accomodations?

A temporary disability, acute health issue, or injury requires and qualifies for the same accommodation request process as for students with a long term or permanent disability, as long as that health condition impacts one or more major life activities, as defined by the ADA Amendments Act. The difference is that in temporary situations, a medical professional determines an end date for the accommodation implementation. For example, a time extension may be an approved accommodation for a student with a broken arm for 6-8 weeks with documentation from a medical doctor specifying the expected recovery date. If necessary, the accommodation could be extended beyond the 6-8 weeks for residual effects of the injury if the physical therapist or other treating medical professional provided a formal letter requesting additional time for the accommodation to be provided.

Will using an accommodation make it easier to pass my courses?

Accommodations are not meant to make courses easier. You are still required to do the same work as your peers and to submit college-level work. What accommodations do is level the playing field and give students with disabilities the same opportunity to demonstrate his or her knowledge as his or her nondisabled peers. Accommodations guarantee equal access, not success.

What should I do if I feel that I have been discriminated against?

The college has a complaint/grievance process you should follow to register any discrimination complaint or grievance. Please see Student Concerns or the Student Handbook to review the complaint/ grievance procedure for filing a complaint against a University Official.

If I disclose my disability or impairment to JIU, will this information be passed along if I transfer to another college or apply for graduate school?

No. JIU cannot release information about your condition to any individual or group not employed by the college without your written consent. Office of Accessibility Services information is maintained separately from your official academic record and is not recorded on your university transcript in any way.