Disability Services FAQ

ADA Policies

Jones International University,® Ltd. is committed to ensuring students with disabilities access to its educational programs and services by providing reasonable accommodations. To that end, JIU has appointed a Director of Disabilty Services whose responsibility is to help students with disabilities determine the assistance they may need to participate fully in JIU's educational programs. The Director of Disability Services works with these individuals, within the confines of JIU's online teaching program and the law, to implement timely and reasonable accommodations for participation. Please visit the Office of Disability Services for more information.

What accommodations are offered at Jones International University?

Students may request reasonable accommodations based on their experiences with their disabilities, and therefore, accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. There is no list of accommodations to choose from. Students should determine what modifications to their education would accommodate their disabilities and share that information with the Disability Services Coordinator.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

Accommodations are reasonable when they do not fundamentally alter the nature of a program or service and do not represent an undue financial or administrative burden to the University. We are able to provide academic adjustments or accommodations; however, we are not required to modify academic and non-academic standards.

How do I receive an accommodation?

Please see the instructions for submitting an accommodation request and review the documentation requirements on the Accommodation Requests page.You must begin the accommodation request process by directly contacting the Office of Disability Services Coordinator at 800.811.5663 x8368 or disabilities@international.edu.

What if I don't know what accommodation to request?

The first question you should ask yourself is "How am I struggling in my studies?" The answer to that question will usually lead you to the modifications that you need to accommodate your disability. If you are still having difficulty determining which accommodations may be appropriate for you, you may discuss your situation with the Disability Services Coordinator and determine what is right for you.

I am a prospective student with a disability. Do I have to tell my Admissions Counselor or Student Student Solutions Advisor about my disability? Will my disability influence my admission to the college?

No. You are not obligated to inform the University of your disability during the admissions process, nor are your required to disclose your disability with the University, unless you are requesting an accommodation for your education. The presence of a disability will not influence your admission to the University at all.

Do I have to pay extra for accommodations?

No. Reasonable accommodations are provided by the college at no cost to the student.

Do I have to request an accommodation if I have a disability?

No. You only have to request accommodations if you want to use them in your studies. Accommodations will not be suggested or offered unless you identify yourself as a student with a disability and request them.

What is the difference between asking my instructor for an accommodation and talking with the Disability Services Coordinator about an accommodation?

Requesting accommodations through JIU's Office of Disability Services officially notifies the college that you are a student with a disability and invokes the protection of the state and federal disability laws. Talking with your instructors about what modifications you may need in your online courses does not.

Can I get a waiver for program requirements for my disability?

Waiving requirements or other academic decisions or standards are not accommodations. They are handled separate to the accommodation process. These requests necessitate the review of your school Dean and, possibly, the Academic Review Committee. The Disability Services Coordinator can help you determine whether or not your request for accommodations is actually a request that requires an academic decision from another department.

Does the University have to provide assistive technology and computer equipment for my use at home if it will accommodate my disability?

No. The law does not require the college to purchase personal services, equipment or aids for you. You are responsible for providing your own equipment for home use. The Disability Services Coordinator will do their best to offer you information on resources to connect you with the assistive technology or equipment you may need.

I think I have a disability but I have not been diagnosed. Will JIU pay for my evaluation if I share my suspicions with the Disability Services Coordinator?

No. It is the student's responsibility to determine whether or not a disability is present. The law does not require the college to identify and evaluate students who may have disabilities.

I cannot use regular print textbooks and need textbooks in an alternative format. Why must I pay for a copy of the textbook that I cannot use?

Due to copyright law, students are required to purchase the print version of the textbook in order to obtain a copy of the textbook in an alternative format. This is done to protect the publisher's and author's copyright interests. If you can find your textbook on Bookshare, Learning Ally, or the National Library Service, you will not be required to purchase the print version, however, you must qualify as an individual with a print disability per each programs' requirements and be approved for membership within these programs in order to have access to their books. You can also search for textbooks at CourseSmart, which provides electronic textbooks for a fee.

What is a print disability?

A print disability is defined when an individual cannot effectively read standard printed material because of a visual, physical, perceptual, developmental, cognitive, or learning disability.

I Have a Temporary Disability. What do I qualify for?

A temporary disability, acute health issue, or injury requires and qualifies for the same accommodation request process as for students with a long term or permanent disability, as long as that health condition impacts one or more major life activities, as defined by the ADA Amendments Act. The difference is that in temporary situations, a medical professional determines an end date for the accommodation implementation. For example, a time extension may be an approved accommodation for a student with a broken arm for 6-8 weeks with documentation from a medical doctor specifying the expected recovery date. If necessary, the accommodation could be extended beyond the 6-8 weeks for residual effects of the injury if the physical therapist or other treating medical professional provided a formal letter requesting additional time for the accommodation to be provided.

Will using an accommodation make it easier to pass my courses?

Accommodations are not meant to make courses easier. You are still required to do the same work as your peers and to submit college-level work. What accommodations do is level the playing field and give students with disabilities the same opportunity to demonstrate his or her knowledge as his or her nondisabled peers. Accommodations guarantee equal access, not success.

What should I do if I feel that I have been discriminated against?

The college has a complaint/grievance process that you should follow to register any discrimination complaint or grievance. Please see Student Concerns or the Student Handbook to review the complaint/ grievance procedure for filing a complaint against a University Official.

If I disclose my disability to JIU, will this information be passed along if I transfer to another college or apply for graduate school?

No. JIU cannot release information about your disability to any individual or group not employed by the college without your written consent. Disability information is maintained separate to your official college record and is not recorded on your college transcript in any way.