Transfer of Credit

Jones International University (JIU) accepts the transfer of college credits. The following kinds of credits may qualify for transfer:

  • Credits earned at institutions accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Military and corporate training approved by the American Council on Education (ACE).
  • Credits earned through specific national exams such as CLEP, DSST and ACE/PEP.
  • International credentials evaluated by any NACES or AICE approved provider or AACRAO.
  • Credits from institutions that have specific articulation agreements with JIU.
  • All undergraduate level programs also accept Advanced Placement (AP) courses or exams. For specific information, click here.

Except for courses articulated through transfer policies or institutional agreements, JIU makes no promises to prospective students regarding the acceptance of credit awarded by examination, credit for prior learning or credit for transfer until an evaluation has been conducted.

Graduate Transfer of Credit Policy

Candidates in the Masters, Specialist or Doctoral degree programs have additional requirements:

Transfer credits are granted only if they are applicable to the student's selected degree program. Transfer credits are not available for JIU certificate programs or for clinical practice, comprehensive examination, dissertation or capstone courses, or courses that contain SPA key assessments (click here for list of courses). Students should work with their Student Solutions Advisor in determining how transfer credit may apply to their academic degree plan. The final decision to accept credits belongs to the Academic Deans and Chief Academic Officer. Students who have earned credit at other institutions are responsible for ensuring that the courses they register for at JIU do not duplicate any previously earned credit.

Grade Requirements/Grade Transfer

Master and undergraduate credit transfers require a course grade of C or higher. Doctoral and Specialist credit transfers require a course grade of B or higher.

Courses transferred to JIU will not be used in calculating a student's JIU GPA, but will be used in calculating a financial aid student's 150% or 200% (depending on degree program) maximum timeframe (See Satisfactory Academic Progress in the Student Handbook).

Semester vs. Quarter vs. Unit Hours

Students are awarded the same number of hours for which they received credit at the school of origin. If the school operates on semester hours, these transfer to JIU as semester hours. If the school operates on quarter hours, transferable hours will be multiplied by two-thirds to convert them to semester hours. Credits from schools that operate on unit systems or other types of credit systems will also be converted to semester hours.

Transfer Limits

There is no time limit on the coursework accepted for credit transfer in JIU undergraduate and masters programs. For Specialist and doctoral programs, coursework earned at other colleges and universities may be transferred if earned within the past 10 years.

Students in the Doctorate of Education and the Doctorate of Business Administration programs may transfer up to 18 credit hours.  Students in the Education Specialist degree may transfer up to 15 credit hours.

Students in masters programs may transfer up to nine (9) master's credits. This maximum is cumulative for credit transfer and credit for prior learning.

Bachelor programs require a combined total of 120 credit hours from all sources, including transfer credit, credit for prior learning and JIU course completions. Students must take a minimum of 30 credit hours at JIU in order to earn a bachelor degree. A maximum of 90 credit hours may be earned toward a bachelor degree through any combination of transfer credit, credit by examination or credit for prior learning; credit for prior learning is limited to 15 credits. Students must take 30 of the last 60 credits earned for the bachelor’s degrees at JIU. Where an associate degree has been earned, JIU will award up to 60 semester hours toward the lower division requirements of any bachelor program.

For students eligible for the associate’s degree program, which requires a total of 60 credit hours from all sources, including transfer credit, credit for prior learning and JIU course completions. A maximum of 45 credit hours may be earned toward a bachelor degree through any combination of transfer credit, credit by examination or credit for prior learning; credit for prior learning is limited to 15 credits.  Students must take 15 of the last 30 credits earned for the associate’s degrees at JIU.

When a course has been repeated at another institution, only the most recent course and grade will be transferred and posted to the student's academic record, unless the course is designated in the institution's catalog as "may be repeated for credit". JIU is unable to accept transfer credit hours from remedial or developmental courses, vocational or technical courses, or courses or degrees obtained from non-qualified institutions.

Official Transcript Requirement

Official transcripts from the institution where educational credit was granted are used for all transfer of credits. Transcripts must be sent directly from the college or university to the Office of the Registrar at JIU for review. JIU is prepared to assist students in this effort. International transcripts must be translated to English and officially evaluated by an external agency (see Admission Requirements for International Students).

Transfer credit evaluations completed before the review of final, official transcripts are tentative and are for advising purposes only.

Credit by Examination

Specific CLEP, DSST or ACT/PEP/Excelsior College exams can be transferred into JIU undergraduate programs. Test scores must be submitted directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Students earning satisfactory scores on CLEP, DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) or AP examinations will be granted credits toward a degree program at JIU. Each examination has been assigned a quantity and level of credits.

Military Transfer of Credit

Each of the military services has developed methods for documenting military training that the American Council on Education (ACE) has evaluated for college credit. For college level credits earned at regionally accredited institutions, separate official transcripts must be sent from the respective institution even if they are recorded on the military transcript.


The Army uses the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service (AARTS) for documenting military training. Students interested in obtaining an institutional copy of their AARTS transcript for admission to JIU must complete a DA Form 5454-R, Request for Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript. Once completed, the form should be faxed to 913.684.9499 or DSN 552-9499, or mailed to AARTS Operation Center, 298 Grant Avenue, Fort Leavenworth, KS, 66027-1254, or email at


The Navy uses the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) for documenting military training for all active duty Sailors/Marines and for those who have separated or retired after October 1, 1999. Students who are not eligible for a SMART must submit a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release, or Discharge from Active Duty, or a DD Form 295, Application for Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service, to obtain credit for military training.

Students may request an institutional copy of their SMART for admission to JIU through the installation Navy College Office or Marine Corps Education Center at SMART Operations Center, 6490 Saufley Field Road, Pensacola, FL 32509-5204, fax to 850.452.1281, or email at

Air Force

The Air Force uses the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript for documenting all college credit-worthy training received. Air Force enlisted personnel should complete an AF Form 2099, Request for Community College of the Air Force Transcript, at the base education office and have the transcript sent directly to their Military Enrollment Advisor (transcripts sent directly to students are unofficial copies and will be stamped, Issued to Student). Students who are not located near an Air Force Base can send a written transcript request including their full name, Social Security Account Number, current address including ZIP Code and their Military Enrollment Advisor's address. The letter must include the student's original signature because that is the legal authorization for CCAF to release a transcript. Since the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) regionally accredit CCAF, the Office of Admissions will evaluate the transcript just like any other transfer credits would be evaluated.

Coast Guard

The Coast Guard uses the Coast Guard Transcript for documenting all college credit-worthy training received. Before students can request a Coast Guard Transcript, they must first have completed a Coast Guard Institute (CGI) Form 1560/04e, Educational Assessment Worksheet at SMART Operations Center, 6490 Saufley Field Road, Pensacola, FL 32509-5204, or email at

Service members are eligible to take CLEP or DSST examinations at no charge through an approved military installation.

Articulation Agreements

JIU has articulation agreements with the following institutions:

  • Aims Community College, CO
  • Atlantic Cape Community College, NJ
  • Butte College, CA
  • Colorado Mountain College, CO
  • Dallas County Community College District, TX
  • East San Gabriel Valley ROP & Technical College, CA
  • Eastern Maine Technical College, ME
  • Los Angeles Trade-Tech College, CA
  • Market Traders Institute, FL
  • Milwaukee Area Technical College, WI
  • Pennsylvania Institute of Technology, PA
  • Pima Community College, AZ
  • Technical College of Lowcountry, SC
  •  Colorado Community College System (CCCS), CO:
    • Arapahoe Community College
    • Colorado Northwestern Community College
    • Community College of Aurora
    • Community College of Denver
    • Front Range Community College
    • Lamar Community College
    • Morgan Community College
    • Northeastern Junior College
    • Otero Junior College
    • Pikes Peak Community College
    • Pueblo Community College
    • Red Rocks Community College
    • Trinidad State Junior College

For more information on JIU Policies and Procedures, click here for the Student Handbook.