Complaint/Grievance Procedure

Should an issue arise with: (1) discrimination regarding your diagnosis/condition; (2) the negotiation of accommodation service(s); (3) an approved accommodation service(s); (4) the classroom environment; or (5) other challenges or difficulties resulting from a documented condition or accommodation service(s), the student should consult with the Office of Accessibility Coordinator immediately. If a student believes that an action of the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) regarding a request for an accommodation violates his or her rights under law,  or if a student feels s/he were discriminated against by a University Official, s/he may appeal the matter by following the Student Complaint Against University Official(s) procedure, found in the JIU Student Handbook.