Accommodation Request Procedure



To ensure the provision of reasonable and appropriate services at Jones International University, students with disabilities must identify themselves in a timely manner to the Office of Disability Services (ODS). Current and comprehensive documentation must be on file with the ODS prior to approval of the accommodations. It is strongly encouraged that students self-disclose their disabilities and begin the accommodation request process prior to the beginning of their academic coursework because accommodations are not retroactive. If student's require alternative formatted textbooks, the ODS requires anywhere from six to eight weeks to approve students for such accommodations and process textbook orders.

[ back to top ]

Documentation Requirements

JIU's Office of Disability Services requires documentation from a certified, licensed professional that is generally dated no more than three years prior to your course start date. The Disability Assessment Form allows the diagnosing professional to send documentation to confirm your disability and provide information that is relative to your needs in the academic environment. In some cases, the provider should include testing results or other supporting documentation.

A student must also provide a Release of Information: Certified, Licenses Provider form in case the ODS requires additional information concerning your accommodation request or documentation. If you have received accommodation services in the past at another University, or if your documentation is older than three years, please consult with the Disability Services (DS) Coordinator and review the section below titled Disability Testing Documentation.

JIU will not accept the submission of treatment notes, hand-written notes on prescription pads, or Social Security Income statements for accommodation approval.

[ back to top ]

Disability Testing Documentation

If you're seeking disability services, current test results or other forms of approved documentation are required. If testing is required for your disability, you are required to provide the results of such tests to the Disability Services Coordinator, along with the Disability Assessment Form, to be completed by a certified, licensed provider. If the only testing results you have are outdated (more than three years old), then the Disability Services Office accepts two other reasonable options:

Option 1 - Obtain Your Records

If you have received accommodations within the past three years, you may submit copies of your accommodations from your previous college or university. Your former school should also provide a letter including a statement that you were accommodated for your disability and that the college supports the testing results, including the date of any tests, and the dates you attended the school.

Please note that you will be required to provide a copy of your outdated testing from the diagnosing professional accompanying the letter and accommodation information from your previous school.

Option 2 - Provide a Letter

If your limitations have not changed since your initial test date, it would be acceptable to obtain a current letter from a diagnosing professional stating that your disability has not changed and that accommodations may be reasonably determined from the outdated testing. Please note that you will still be required to provide a copy of your outdated testing from your diagnosing professional to accompany the current letter.

The table below provides information on what is required per your disability:

Disability Required Documentation
Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADD/ADHD) Completed Disability Assessment Form by a licensed physician, psychiatrist or psychologist indicating diagnosis, assessment of how diagnosis may limit student in classroom and recommended accommodations.
Emotional/ Mental Illness A psychological evaluation performed usually within the past three years, which also should be submitted with the Disability Assessment Form. Usually a psychologist, psychiatrist, a nurse or doctor trained in mental health, or a similarly trained professional can diagnose. Include supplemental materials, such as a psychiatric evaluation.
Learning Disability* Educational testing completed as an adult OR within three years. The University cannot use IEP information unless it contains the specific testing results. Usually a psychologist or a speech and language specialist conducts these evaluations. Testing results are required. (Please see the section titled Disability Testing Documentation.)
Permanent Sensory or Physical Disability Completed Disability Assessment Form filled out including diagnosis, assessment of how long diagnosis may limit student in classroom and recommended accommodations. If the information the health care professional provides is not specific or missing, the student will need to provide more detailed verification. General temporary illnesses and conditions (e.g. cold, flu, normal pregnancy, and etc.) are not considered for accommodations. Please provide any supplemental materials such as hospital stays and other medical notes that might assist the process.
Vision Conditions Optometrist, ophthalmologist or physician specializing in conditions of the eyes must complete a Disability Assessment Form including diagnosis, assessment of how long diagnosis may limit student in classroom and recommended accommodations. Include any supplemental materials such as visual tests verifying the condition and recommend accommodations.
Hearing Conditions Requires Disability Assessment Form to be filled out completely including diagnosis, assessment of how long diagnosis may limit student in classroom and recommended accommodations. Verification requires an audiologist, speech and language pathologist, or physician specifically trained to work with hearing conditions. A copy of an audiogram should be included with the information/verification form.

*Common Learning Disabilities

Dyslexia – A language-based disability in which a person has trouble understanding written words. It may also be referred to as reading disability or reading disorder.

Dyscalculia – A mathematical disability in which a person has a difficult time solving arithmetic problems and grasping math concepts.

Dysgraphia – A writing disability in which a person finds it hard to form letters or write within a defined space.

Auditory and Visual Processing Disorders – Sensory disabilities in which a person has difficulty understanding language despite normal hearing and vision.

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities – A neurological disorder which originates in the right hemisphere of the brain, causing problems with visual-spatial, intuitive, organizational, evaluative and holistic processing functions.

[ back to top ]