Student Rights and Responsibilities
Students with disabilities at Jones International University have the right, subject to the limitations of applicable law, to:
- Equal access to courses, programs and services offered through JIU;
- Equal opportunity to learn and to receive reasonable accommodations, as supported by documentation
- Appropriate privacy of all information regarding their disability, except as disclosures that are required or permitted by law and/or University policy
- Access information available in accessible formats, when providing such information could be a reasonable accommodation, or as otherwise required by applicable law, when supported by documentation.
Students with disabilities at Jones International University have the responsibility, subject to the limitations of applicable law, to:
- Meet academic and technical standards for admission or participation in the University’s educational programs, services or activities
- Identify as an individual with a disability through the Office of Disability Services (ODS), when an accommodation is needed, and to seek information, counsel and assistance via this office as necessary
- Document in writing how the disability limits his/her participation in courses, programs or services, and provide the necessary items when an accommodation is needed.
University Rights and Responsibilities
Jones International University has the right, subject to the limitations of applicable law, to:
- Request and receive, through the ODS, current and appropriate documentation that supports requests for accommodations.
- Select among equally effective accommodations or adjustments to meet the student’s accommodation request.
- Refuse an unreasonable accommodation request that imposes a fundamental alteration to a course, program or service of the University.
Jones International University has the responsibility, subject to the limitations of applicable law, to:
- Upon request, provide information in accessible formats to students with disabilities, as supported by documentation
- Provide or coordinate reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities in courses, programs and services.
- Maintain appropriate privacy of records and communications in regard to students with disabilities, except where permitted or required by law.