If you have a basic computer setup with Internet access, chances are you won't need any additional hardware or software to be an online learner at JIU.
Our courses are compatible with both PCs and Macs. Please refer to the following table for our technology requirements:
|Operating System||• Windows XP or Mac OSX|
|RAM||• 500 MB of RAM||• 1 GB of RAM or above|
|Storage||• 4 GB or better|
|Monitor||• 15" VGA
• High color (16 bit)
• 1024 X 768 Resolution
|• 17" SVGA Monitor
• True color (24 bit)
• 1024 X 768 resolution or higher
|Internet Connection||• 56K Modem||• Broadband|
(only 1 needed)*
|Software||• Microsoft Office 2003 or newer||• Microsoft Office 2003 or newer|
|Plugins||• Adobe Acrobat Reader
• Macromedia Flash Player
• Sound Card
• USB Port
|Browser Settings||• Cookies must be allowed in your browser||• Cookies must be allowed in your browser|
*Note: The registration portal at my.jiu.edu may not function properly if you are using a non-supported browser. Recommended browsers include Internet Explorer 8.0 and Firefox 9.0.1. All other JIU websites including the My Courses/Dashboard pages and JIU courses support most modern browsers. Recommended browsers include Internet Explorer 8.0 and Firefox 9.0.1.
For the following issues, you should first contact Technical Support:
- Server issues (site not available, server is slow)
- Course access (login problems, course not available)
- Technical problems (forum malfunctioning, any course delivery software function not working properly)
Contact us at: http://help.jiu.edu.
Directions for Allowing Session Cookies
Windows, Safari Version 26.0.1410.43
Select "Preferences" from the "Safari" menu:
- Click on the "Security" icon (the picture of a padlock).
- Select either the radio button next to "Accept cookies: Always" or "Accept cookies: Only from sites you navigate to."