Financial Aid

At Jones International University, we are eager to help you explore all the available resources to fund your education. Your degree is an investment that will reap both personal and professional benefits.

Our Student Solutions Advisors will also be happy to work with you to ensure you make the most of your available aid. Please call our advisors at 800.811.5663 Option 3.

7 Easy Steps to Student Financial Aid

How to Qualify for Federal Financial Aid

To be eligible for federal student aid, you must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • have a high school diploma or GED.
  • have a valid Social Security number.
  • be enrolled in an eligible JIU program.
  • be at least a half-time student (for federal loans).
  • remain in good academic standing by meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, as outlined in JIU’s Student Handbook.
  • demonstrate financial need (does not apply to unsubsidized loans).
  • not have borrowed more than the aggregate loan limits under Title IV programs at any institution.
  • certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan or owe money on a federal student grant.
  • certify that you will use federal student aid for educational purposes only.
  • comply with Selective Service registration if you are a male.

Your PIN is your electronic signature that allows you to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), check its status online, and access your account information. To obtain your PIN, go to the Department of Education PIN registration website and click “Apply for a PIN”. Keep your PIN in a safe place and do not share your PIN with anyone.

What is the FAFSA?

The FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You need to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for grants, work-study jobs, and student loans. Completing the FAFSA is essential to determining your financial aid. Complete your FAFSA now!

What is the federal school code?

The JIU financial aid code is 035343. Please use this code when completing the FAFSA.

Other Facts About the FAFSA

Before you can accept a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, you also must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will complete your MPN on the Federal Direct Loan Program website. The MPN is a legal document affirming that you understand you are borrowing money and that you must repay the amount borrowed plus any interest that may accrue. The MPN also collects your references and allows you to electronically sign the document using your federal PIN. The MPN should be completed electronically via

Complete your application by using JIU’s Virtual Financial Aid Office (VFAO) through the student portal. Our VFAO offers a fully online guide to the various types of aid, eligibility requirements and the application process. Our Student Solutions Advisors will also be available to assist you in the completion of this form and to answer any questions at 800.811.5663 Option 3.

The U.S. Department of Education has a process that is used by universities and colleges to verify the information that is entered on the application for federal aid. This process is known as Verification and schools like JIU are required to verify the information on your application. If a request for verification occurs, the JIU Financial Aid Office will notify you with what information is required. Additional documentation may include:

  • A copy of your Federal Tax Transcript
  • A copy of your parent's Federal Tax Transcript
  • Information on your household size and number in college
  • Information on any untaxed income or benefits

What is  an award letter?

After you have registered for the appropriate number of hours and submitted all required documents to JIU, we will determine your awards and send your Confirmed Award Letter via email. The Confirmed Award Letter will indicate your awards for the academic year and the anticipated dates for disbursement of your awards.

What is an academic Year?

To remain eligible for Federal Student Aid, you must enroll in consecutive terms for at least half-time status. A term is 16 weeks; an academic year is 32 weeks or two terms. See our more detailed information on undergraduate and graduate term structure here.